Do you have a plan in place to ensure your company remains successful in the future? If not, it’s time to put one in place. You may have the best leadership team in the world right now, but if you’re not looking ahead, your organization could easily fall off course.
It’s never too early to start developing future leaders at all levels of your business. The better prepared you are now, the more equipped you’ll be to handle any unanticipated changes that come your way.
How to Create a Leadership Development Program
Ready to start focusing on leadership development? Follow these five steps to set up a program that really works:
- Identify Potential Leaders: Closely examine your workforce to find employees with the capacity to become great leaders. Ensure they embody the characteristics you want your organization to stand for, as they may hold a highly visible role one day.
- Locate Current Leadership Gaps: Take a look at your current leadership team to see if they’re missing any key skills. If you find any gaps, create an action plan to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
- Establish Succession Plans: Chaos can easily ensue when a key employee leaves the company. Avoid this huge business disruption by creating a succession plan for every critical role at all levels of the organization. You can’t stop a person from resigning, but you can ensure their departure creates minimal business disruption.
- Develop Career Plans for Potential Leaders: Work with potential leaders to learn more about their future career goals and create a plan to support them. Develop a skills roadmap including a variety of activities, such as coaching, mentoring and project leadership to help them prepare to hold a key position in the future.
- Put Retention Programs in Place: After investing in your future leaders, you want to make sure they stay with your company for the long-term. If possible, offer both competitive pay and a variety of nonmonetary benefits to entice them to grow their careers at your organization. When people know they have a good thing going at your company, they won’t even think about going anywhere else.
Searching for a natural leader to add to your team? Contact Longview Search Alliance. Enjoy access to our extensive network of passive candidates that you won’t find anywhere else. You can count on us to deliver the best person for the job every time.