If you’re currently seeking new opportunities, you’re probably well aware of the current skills gap. Employers have been using this buzzword to explain why they can’t find enough qualified job candidates to fill their open positions.
Don’t let this discourage you from finding a great new job. Instead, use it to your advantage. If other candidates are seriously lacking skills, it’s time to enhance your own to prove you’re the best person for the job.
5 Highly Coveted Skills and How to Get Them
Want to know what hiring managers are really looking for in the ideal candidate? Gain a competitive advantage by acquiring the following five skills:
- Tech Savvy: You don’t have to be proficient in every system a company uses, but hiring managers want to know you at least have the aptitude to catch on quickly.
- Ability to Manage Conflicting Priorities: Busy companies often have many different projects in the works at once, so you need to know how to prioritize your assignments to ensure everything is completed on time.
- Interpersonal Sensitivity: Most offices are filled with people who have a variety of different personalities and backgrounds. It’s important to have the ability to work together with everyone, regardless of your differences.
- Leadership: Hiring managers seek leaders who can motivate and inspire everyone around them to do their best work.
- Creative Thinker: The ability to think outside-the-box is an invaluable skill, because companies are always looking for a fresh, new way to outshine their competition.
If you don’t already have these skills — don’t panic! You can develop them by putting in a little extra effort. Volunteer your time at a local organization that needs a helping hand in your field, join a relevant professional organization to take advantage of developmental opportunities offered or consider going back to school to take a few courses.
Hiring managers don’t expect you to be perfect, so if you can show that you’re taking the initiative to learn and grow, you’ll boost your marketability.
Are you an accounting or finance professional in Southern California? Contact Longview Search Alliance. Even if you’re not actively seeking new opportunities, you never know when your dream job will open up. Connect with us today, so we can let you know when there’s an opening that you might be interested in.